Sunshine Sound Podcast: Making Music in Southern California
Your host Christine Mathias interviews music makers, producers, organizers, and others involved in the scene in Southern California. Listen to some original local music and hear the stories from the people who create. What does the music scene look like today? Why do we do what we do? How does it all come together? Sit back and enjoy that sunshine sound. Listen below, or you can find us on iTunes, Stitcher, GooglePlay, YouTube, or wherever you Podcast.
Are you a musician in southern California? Want to recommend a guest? Any other feedback? Contact your host at christine(at)sunshinesoundcenter.org.
Audio engineering and theme music by Tommy Bobcat.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #015 – Paige MillerJune 20, 2018In episode 15, Christine interviews Paige Miller, a talented drummer who recently relocated to to San Diego from Virginia. Paige plays with a lot of great musicians around here, including Dixie Maxwell and Becca Jay. In this podcast, Paige talks about how she got into drums at a young age, her experience playing in school bands and theater, the San Diego Rock Camp for Girls, her approach to learning new styles, and more. Plus, we’ll have the chance to listen to a song by Dixie that Paige performed on.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #014 – Blood PoniesJune 13, 2018In episode #14 of the Sunshine Sound Podcast, Christine interviews Blood Ponies, a dark post-punk band based in San Diego. Listen in to find out why Jeff and Candice are drawn to the mysterious and gruesome sides of art and life, how they started off by playing a set as a Cure cover band, how their songs come together, their opinions on politics and art, and much more. As always, you’ll have a chance to listen to a few of their dark and driving tracks.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #013 – prettyhowtownJune 6, 2018In this episode, Christine interviews John Noble, also known as prettyhowtown. He’s known for his live improvised electronic music on a customized analog modular synthesizer. He’s a regular at Open Oscillator and well known in the electronic scene for unique performances. In this episode, John goes into great detail on his gear, his technical background, and how he’s able to perform with nobs and joysticks. He also talks about things like microtonal music, analog vs. digital, and the San Diego music scene. As always, you’ll have the chance to listen to a couple of his tracks. And, here’s his modular synthesizer. Look at this thing.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #012 – The Parker MeridienMay 30, 2018In this episode, I interviewed Parker Edison and Nate Hubbard of The Parker Meridien, a live rap act based in San Diego. Their band has a unique sound, weaving in elements of funk, trap, old school hip hop, and experimental music. I loved hearing about how they create and recreate their songs, often adding and subtracting instruments. We chat about all that, plus the collaborative and creative local scene, the problems with genres, tambourines, and much more.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #011 – HexaMay 22, 2018In this episode, I interview Carrie and Acacia from Hexa, an experimental/dark electronic/pop act based in San Diego. Their music is gothic and ethereal, much like their aesthetic and music videos. We chat about stuff like the local music scene, connecting with other creative people, what it’s like to be in an all-female band, and making music videos. We also have the chance to listen to The Trees, off their upcoming full-length album, and you have to check out this music video. These ladies are so cool.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #010 – All Music!May 15, 2018Every 10th episode is an All Music Podcast, hosted by the one and only Tommy Bobcat. Listen back to the artists from the first 9 episodes, with colorful commentary from Mr. Bobcat. Rotator – Orb of Light Moans – Body Type Beta Lion – Tonight at Whisperz Tommy Bobcat – Chloroform Tommy Bobcat – Bosintang Pony Death Ride – Your Cats are Crap Pony Death Ride – (It’s A) Tom Waits Christmas GrooveSquatch – Righteous Dude Fistfights with Wolves – Maud’Dib Fistfights with Wolves – Plot Armor Emma Byrd – I Have Seen Love Veronica May – Rise Veronica May– There is Hope MC Flow – Free MC Flow – Oh Charlotte
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #009 – MC FlowMay 8, 2018In this episode, I interview MC Flow, a San Diego musician known for her cannabis-infused raps like Pot in the Latkes and Welcome to the Dispensary. We chat about her newest EP, Her Highness, which was released on 4/20, shortly after the legalization of weed in California. We also talk about the cannabis industry generally, as well as other topics like the songwriting process, the role of activism in music, making music videos, the struggles we all seem to have with marketing, balancing motherhood with career, and a lot more.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #008 – Veronica MayMay 1, 2018In this episode, I interview the talented Veronica May. She’s a local musician and mental health advocate, as well as an amazing songwriter and performer. We chat about the different facets of being a musician and creating a life around music, and the struggles we all seem to have with marketing. Veronica also discusses her experience educating on mental health, and what it’s like to live with Bipolar 1 Disorder. As always, we have the chance to listen to a few of her powerful and beautiful tracks.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #007 – Emma ByrdApril 24, 2018In this episode, I interview Emma Byrd, a music therapist based in San Diego. We talk all about music therapy – what it is, who can benefit from it, and how it’s done. We also talk about Rock n’ Roll Camp for Girls San Diego, what it means to empower women, finding your voice, and the San Diego music scene (particularly as it compares to New England, where we both are from). We also have the chance to listen to one of Emma’s beautiful original songs.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #006 – Fistfights With WolvesApril 17, 2018In this episode, I interview Mat Rakers and Ryan Bradley of Fistfights With Wolves and the San Diego Music and Art Cooperative. Fistfights is an 8-piece progressive math rock band based here in San Diego, and their music is harmonically and rhythmically complex, weaving in elements of classical, folks, and rock music. We talk about the process of creating and performing these epic tracks, pushing yourself as a musician, their experience in running and teaching at SDMAC, and much more
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #005 – GrooveSquatchApril 10, 2018In this episode, I interview Ken Santillan, also known as GrooveSquatch, an (almost intimidatingly) talented keyboardist based in San Diego. We talk about his experience playing top 40 music for 20 years, the fun of drunken audiences, working as a musician in theater, the magic of Open Oscillator, and much more.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #004 – Pony Death RideApril 3, 2018In this episode, I interview Joe and Jaye MacAskill of Pony Death Ride, a half-Canadian musical comedy duo based in San Diego. We talk about their involvement in the burlesque scene, where inspiration comes from, why they have an entire album about cats, the role of comedy in music, their fantastic style, and of course their amazing Christmas shows.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #003 – Tommy BobcatMarch 27, 2018In this episode, I interview Tommy Bobcat, local musician, sound engineer, and co-founder of Sunshine Sound Center. He plays guitar in Denim Robot, and also has his own experimental solo music, which we talk about. What is experimental music, anyway? How does being an audio engineer change the way you create music? Why do we get stage fright, and does it serve a purpose? All this and more. Enjoy.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #002 – RC Krueger & Moses ConstableMarch 20, 2018In the second episode of the Sunshine Sound Podcast, I interview RC Krueger and Moses Constable. RC is a filmmaker and founder of Villains Records, and Mo IS Moans, a recording collective project putting out danceable groovy synth and bass-heavy tracks. RC directed the Moans video, Body Type, which won Best Video at the Music Video Extravaganza. Listen in to learn about the process for making that video, hear some great local music, and enjoy our observations on the music scene, having big dreams, and what it means to be an adult.
- Sunshine Sound Podcast: #001 – Jeff TrageserMarch 12, 2018In the first episode of the Sunshine Sound Podcast, I interview Jeff Trageser. Jeff is the co-founder, host, and sometimes performer at Open Oscillator, a bi-monthly open mic for electronic musicians. We talk about how that event came together, what exactly electronic musicians are doing (and why they don’t like being called a “DJ”), the San Diego music scene, and Jeff’s other projects.